The Classic Showdown: SEO vs PPC vs Social Media Marketing
The Google Trends graph below compares organic search interest over time for “SEO”, “PPC” and “Social Media Marketing” search terms.
According to Google, the graph numbers represent search interest relative to the highest point on the chart for the given region and time. A value of 100 is the peak popularity for the term. A value of 50 means that the term is half as popular.
Which Digital Marketing Channel is Best?
In other words, why the total domination of SEO? We have a few theories, neatly placed in bullets below.
- In absolutely every circumstance that we’ve experienced, visitors from organic search results convert into customers at a much higher rate than paid search (PPC) and social media marketing (both organic and paid). Translation: people continue to trust organic search engine results over paid ads and social media marketing.
- SEO is getting easier to measure and understand as metrics are combined with website analytic data further reinforcing the value of SEO.
- The costs associated with paid search and social are ever increasing as bid rates in competitive markets continue to soar whereas SEO typically costs a fixed rate each month.
- Organic social media marketing performance can be difficult to directly measure, although the indirect benefits are undeniable.
- Every click and/or interaction costs within paid search and social media environments. SEO costs the same each month no matter how many clicks or interactions occur.
Like this post? Link here using the graphic below!